Want to be able to start and stop video recording on your Canon 80D using the record button on the DJI Ronin-S gimbal but can’t figure out how to make it work? Read on!
DJI now supports the Canon 80D with the Ronin-S! Do you want to use the start/stop record button on your gimbal to control your Canon 80D without having to fiddle with the bendy infrared cable? Want to see how your follow focus knob really works? If you don’t already have it, you’ll need this cable: Ronin-S Multi-Camera Control Cable (Mini USB)*
If all you have is the bendy, infrared cable, you can still use the start/stop record button on your gimbal to start and stop recording videos on your Canon 80D. I hope this tutorial helps you!
You did it! You saved up and bought the DJI Ronin-S. You even bought it “on sale” to save a few bucks. With breathless anticipation, you unboxed and set up your new gimbal. You mounted your Canon 80D, got it perfectly balanced, and powered it all on. But alas! The kit didn’t come with the wire you need to connect the gimbal to your Canon 80D: Ronin-S Multi-Camera Control Cable (Mini USB)*. Instead, all you’ve got is the infrared cable (the bendy one that stays in the position you bend it).
So, you turned to the interweb for help. You even watched a YouTube video that describes how one guy got his 80D to start and stop recording using the included infrared cable. He said all you need to do is set the “drive” setting on your camera, and live happily ever after.
But it didn’t work!
Well, there IS a way to get the record button to work with your Canon 80D. The guy in the YouTube video was right! He just left out a couple of key steps. I wrote this article to share the answer with you so you can use the DJI Ronin-S record button to get your Canon 80D to start and stop recording.
On your Canon 80D:
Set the “Drive” setting
- Make sure your camera is set to “photo” (not “video”) mode
- Press the <Q> button
- Tap the “Drive Mode” icon:
- Set the “Drive” mode for 2-seconds:
- Set the “Remote” setting in the menu
- Press the “Menu” button
- Go to page 5 of the red “Camera” menu
- “Enable” the “Remote Control” item (the last item in the list):
In Your Ronin App On Your Smartphone
- Open the Ronin app
- Tap “Create”
- Tap “Camera”
- In the “Camera” options, select “Canon”
Connect the Infra-Red Control Cable to the Ronin
- Attach the infra-red (IR) cable to the Ronin
- Bend it around so the end of the cable is about an inch from the IR port on your camera:
That’s it! You’re all set! Flip the switch on your Canon 80D to video mode, power up your DJI Ronin-S, and press the record button. The light on the front of your Canon 80D will light up for a second (indicating the IR remote thing is working), and your camera will begin recording!
DJI now supports the Canon 80D with the Ronin-S! Want to use the gimbal with your Canon 80D without the bendy infrared cable? Want to see how that follow focus knob really works? If you don’t already have it, you’ll need this cable: Ronin-S Multi-Camera Control Cable (Mini USB)*
If you only have the infrared cable, I hope this tutorial helps you!
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When I share Amazon product links, I do it for your convenience–so can quickly see pricing info, read other reviews, and check the details without wasting time having to hunt for the info. Clicking the links doesn’t cost you anything–and if you make a purchase, I earn a small commission. I’m disclosing this to you because I believe in transparency, and want to earn your trust!